Why shred ?
It is a perfect way of converting all your woody material into compost or mulch.
- In your compost heap it provides the texture, allowing air to pass through the heap
- This means there is no need to turn your heap
- Shreddings mixed with grass or kitchen waste make the ideal mixture for composting,
speeding up your compost heap, so that you will have compost in 6 - 9 months
Types of shredders
Quiet electric shredders Hire our shredder
- These low cost shredders are best avoided
- They have a high-speed blade which is supposed to work like a cheesegrater.
- They are very noisy, slow and easily jam, and the blades do not last
- Draws material through automatically, cutting and crushing so that material
- Good tempered – cutter is slow running and does not spit
- Capacity to 30-45mm, dependant on model
- Long life cutter
- More expensive but can be hired or bought and shared between neighbours
- Typical models – Bosch AXT25D, AXT25TC. Atco, Al-Ko and Scheppach make similar shredders
- For a good independant review of shredders see Fred the Shed website
- Where to buy
- We have quiet electric shredders available for hire
- They are also used for Shredding Events, where you can "Come and Shred".
- If you are interested in having an event in your neighbourhood, get in touch with us.
- If you find you keep needing a shredder (it is very addictive), why not form a
shredder co-op with your neighbours – contact us, and we can help with setting it up.